Apprenticeship Levy Payers

Maximise the return on your investment

If you are an employer in the private or public sector with an annual wage bill of more than £3million you will be paying the Apprenticeship Levy.

The Apprenticeship Levy is:

  • A UK tax of 0.5% of your total payroll
  • Collected monthly through PAYE
  • Held in a Digital Apprenticeship Service account
  • Available for 24 months from when you pay the money in, after which funds expire and return to the Government.

Programmes are very carefully planned and tailored in close collaboration with employers to meet their particular needs.


Apprenticeship Levy Calculator

Please enter your annual wage bill to find your estimated annual Levy fund to spend on Apprenticeships.


Annual levy fund:

Monthly payment:


Making the Levy easy

Our Levy consultancy can save you time and money by:

  • Co-managing your Digital Apprenticeship Service Account.
  • Helping you work out which Apprenticeships at which levels will meet your needs.
  • Co-designing a flexible delivery plan.
  • Responding to changes in your business.
  • Helping you access new incentives.
  • Making sure you get the very best return on your investment.

Questions about how the Levy works?

Read our FAQs

Benefits of Apprenticeships to Levy paying employers

  • The cost of each Apprenticeship programme is paid in monthly instalments with the final 20% paid at the end, making apprenticeships very affordable.
  • If you have a large number of people to train and want to spend more money than you have in your Digital Apprenticeship Service account, you will only pay 5% of the total cost of additional apprenticeships. The Government pays the remaining 95%.
  • If you are not connected to another company or charity you will get a £15,000 annual levy allowance paid on a monthly basis i.e. £1,250 per month, plus a 10% top up of the levy fund paid monthly. This reduces the total amount of Apprenticeship Levy you pay over the year.
  • Apprenticeship Levy payers also have the option to transfer 25% of their levy, for example to an employer in their supply chain. Speak to us about the best ways to use your levy.

The partnership with Skills Training UK has been very successful and has been a great step forward for the business and for our employees’ individual development.

Steven Boobyer, Managing Director, World of Books

Get in touch

    Please note: This form relates to employers and partnerships only - if you are a learner looking to obtain course information, please visit Courses for 16-18s, Traineeships for 16-24s, Courses for Adults 19+ or Apprenticeships for 16+.

    What course(s) are you interested in?

        YesWould you like to receive emails about future courses?


    Employer Story

    Clinical Coding Apprenticeship helps to upskill and enhance careers at NHS Trust

    The programme covers strong theoretical elements of Clinical Coding such as the importance of accuracy and consistency in recording data and what we use the data for. This isn’t typically covered in the standard Clinical Coding course, mainly due to time and the intensity of the practical coding undertaking, so to have a programme that can encompass both elements and underpin the theory is invaluable.

    Rachel Darby, Clinical Coding Trainer and Operations Manager at Somerset FT.

    Read more See all stories

    Employer Story

    The Skills and Confidence to Lead

    What we wanted was someone who understood the sensitivities around the pressures which the NHS is under and as Skills Training UK have worked with a lot of other NHS Trusts, we feel that they have this and that they’ve displayed that understanding and that sensitivity with our staff

    Rachel Bish, Gloucestershire Health and Care NHS Foundation Trust

    Read more See all stories

    Employer Story

    The Royal Orthopaedic Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

    Many of them achieved Distinctions and Merits and we are really proud of what they have achieved both individually and as a peer group. It was wonderful for them to collectively achieve the Leading Light Award.

    Claire Felkin

    Read more See all stories

    Employer Story

    Staffordshire NDT specialists make long-term commitment to local youth with apprenticeships

    “It’s success that benefits everyone, leads to full time employment for local youth, and future proofs the company. And with the Apprenticeship Levy, it’s a no-brainer.”

    Ed Roe, Managing Director and Co-Owner

    Read more See all stories

    Employer Story

    Applied Inspection Duo Praise NDT Apprenticeship

    I didn’t want to ever reach the level where I’m content and stagnant and not going anywhere. It’s hard work and it’s something to be proud of.

    Joe Morgan

    Read more See all stories
    Casestudy overlay
    STUK Employer Case Study
    STUK Employer Case Study
    STUK Employer Case Study
    STUK Employer Case Study
    STUK Employer Case Study

    Contact Us