BTEC Level 1/ 2 First

Public Services

The BTEC Firsts in Public Services are designed to equip learners with the knowledge, understanding and skills to kick-start a career in the uniformed and non-uniformed services.

This might be the police, emergency fire services, security, prison services, local government or the armed services, for example.

It also provides opportunities for the development of transferable skills related to study and employment which provide a platform for success within public services and elsewhere.

The Pearson BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award is a Level 2 qualification, but it is graded at Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction, Level 2 Distinction, Level 1 and Unclassified.


1 and 2


Online and in person

Casestudy overlay

What to expect from Skills Training UK

  • Energising and well-structured lessons, in small groups.
  • Individual support and mentoring to help you achieve your goals.
  • Access to our virtual learning environment for on-demand videos and materials to reinforce learning.
  • Extra support with English and Maths if you need it.

What does a learner need to do?

  • Attend regular classes either in-person or online.
  • Allow time for project work and study each week.
  • Talk to your training for support and guidance if you need more support.
  • Bring a positive attitude to class and any work experience to make sure you get the most from the opportunity.

Course content

The course comprises of several core and optional, specialist units.

The core units ensure that all learners will develop:

  • knowledge that underpins learning in other units in the qualification – Unit 1: The Role and Work of the Public Services
  • practical and vocational skills – Unit 2: Working Skills in the Public Service Sector.

The optional specialist units give centres flexibility to tailor the programme to the local area and give learners the opportunity to pursue more specialist interests. These units may be selected to:

  • extend knowledge and understanding developed in core units

For example, in Unit 3: Employment in the Public Services, learners look at a range of different public services, their role and purpose, the various job opportunities available, conditions of the service, and the application and selection processes for various public services.

  • deepen and enhance practical application of vocational skills

For example, in Unit 5: Health, Fitness and Lifestyle for the Public Services, learners will gain an understanding of the basic nutrition and lifestyle choices needed to ensure their own personal fitness, and how this could be used to meet the various health and fitness requirements in the public services. Learners will be able to take part in different public services-related fitness tests.

  • develop general work-related skills

For example, in Unit 4: Public Services and Community Protection, learners explore the key organisations involved in the protection of communities, gain an understanding of the hazards and risks posed to individuals and communities, and how the public services deal with them.


Learners do not need to achieve any other qualifications before registering for a BTEC First. No prior knowledge, understanding or skills are necessary.


Level 1 or Level 2 qualification.


Each unit within the qualification has specified assessment and grading and can be awarded at pass, merit or distinction.

25% of the course, around two units are assessed by external examination in January and May, the remaining 75% is internally assessed by a Skills Training UK trainer.

At the end of the course the unit totals are added up to create the final grade.

Whilst I made a great start in the classroom with face-to-face support, I found that I actually preferred learning from the comfort of my own home. I still received the fantastic one-to-one support from my tutors, just virtually, which meant I could continue to get the support I needed.

Hunter Warnock, BTEC Learner

See what you can achieve.
Request a call back from our friendly team.

    Please note: This form relates to employers and partnerships only - if you are a learner looking to obtain course information, please visit Courses for 16-18s, Traineeships for 16-24s, Courses for Adults 19+ or Apprenticeships for 16+.

    YesWould you like to receive emails about future courses?

    Contact Us